By Gregg Easterbrook
Gregg Easterbrook, writer of the wildly well known ESPN.com column Tuesday Morning Quarterback takes on football's position in American society.
Gridiron soccer is the king of activities – it is the largest video game within the most powerful and richest state on this planet. Of the twenty most-watched tv pronounces ever, either within the usa and the world over, all twenty have been large Bowls. In The King of Sports, Easterbrook tells the total tale of the way soccer grew to become so deeply ingrained in American tradition. either strong and undesirable, he examines its effect on American society in any respect degrees of the game.
The King of Sports explores those and plenty of different topics:
* the true damage performed by means of concussions (it's to not NFL players).
* the genuine approach during which collage soccer gamers are exploited (it's no longer by way of no longer being paid).
* the way in which soccer is helping American faculties (it's now not bowl profit) and American towns (it's now not tremendous Bowl wins).
* What occurs to gamers who're used up and thrown away (it's no longer pretty).
* The hidden scandal of the NFL (it's worse than you think).
Using his year-long unique insider entry to the Virginia Tech soccer application, the place Frank Beamer has compiled the main victories of any energetic NFL or major-college head trainer whereas additionally graduating gamers, Easterbrook indicates how one monstrous collage "does soccer right." Then he experiences on what is wrong with soccer on the adolescence, highschool, collage degrees. Easterbrook holds up examples of coaches and courses who placed the athletes first and nonetheless win; he offers suggestions to those concerns and lots of extra, exhibiting a transparent course ahead for the game as an entire. wealthy with reporting information from interviews with present and previous collage and professional soccer avid gamers and coaches, The King of Sports delivers to be the main provocative and best-read activities ebook of the year.